Sunday, September 30, 2007

First Night in Hell... (Part 2)

Those of you who are not yet parents, please don't be too frightened by the following text. Those of you who are parents, please don't laugh too hard at us...


Oh my god, why did NOBODY tell us that our lives would turn into this!!!! We've been home for over 48 hours and have slept maybe a combined 6 hours, between the two of us!! That beautiful little baby of ours has decided that 45 minute naps are more than enough, and then it's back to play time... I'm fairly certain our home has somehow been magically transported to a far away land where nobody sleeps and parents are completely controlled by little people who smile and warm your heart, while slowly killing you...

All joking aside, this has been a very difficult weekend. Unfortunately, the change in time zone's has really hurt us, especially little Mia. At about 2:00 am on Saturday morning Mia decided that 2 hours was enough sleep, and it was time to play. Stacy and I spent the rest of the night trying to soothe her back to sleep, meeting failure at every turn. With little to no sleep on Saturday, we introduced Mia to Nancy & her kids, Skip & Jen, Aunt Cari, Uncle Perry & cousins McKenzie & Nicholas.

Saturday night we hoped that Mia would be tired enough at this point to sleep through the night... Boy were we wrong! I finally got to sleep at about 2:30 am. At 4:30 am I was awoken by the sound of both Mia & Mommy crying. Apparently little Mia had fallen down while playing and Mommy was convinced that Mia needed to go the hospital. I think it's sufficient to say that Mommy was not operating on all cylinders at this point... For those of you lucky enough to know Stacy, you know well her ability to give beyond the point of most mortals. Stacy has been loving & caring for little Mia all weekend as if she was getting 12 hours sleep per night. It was at this point that I put Mommy to bed and took over the duties of entertaining Mia. At about 5:30 am I gave up and put her in bed with us. The above photo is evidence of the carnage that was once our marital bed!! I'm confident that tonight we will see imrovement...




4 comments:

Chrisy said...

Oh you poor things!!!! Bless your hearts! ALL OF YOU!!! It's going to get better... I wish I lived closer... I would LOVE to babysit anytime!!! Hang in there! Big hugs,

Chrisy

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah. Say goodbye to the marital bed for awhile...of course it may all work out for you with Mia being in her own crib..but the sleep deprivation just about KILLED me and the only cure was bringing Alex into my bed. I justified it by thinking how we are the only mammal species that thinks our infants should sleep alone in a separate "nest".......and that seems unnatural. (I'm a good rationalization-er ;>)

Anonymous said...

P.S. That picture is so great--all skee-jawed and topsy-turvy!! Like your life!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh- you poor thing. Jack never gave us more than 1.5 hours between feedings for the first three months! I was a walking zombie. I didn't get a 4-hour stretch until he was 4 months old.
But- he turned out to be an excellent sleeper- now a 3 hour nap and 11 hours at night- woo hoo! She'll get there!